What are the top ten Favorite poodle and dog names?

What are the top ten favorite poodle and dog names used today?  Here’s a list of the top ten names for male and female poodles and dogs, according to http://wixy.com and Pawnation.com.  Our Miniature Poodle is Lucy, but she has nicknames too!

Lucy just seemed to be a perfect name for our little gal

We came up with one or two names at first and quickly settled on Lucy, since it just suited her.  Sometimes a name just pops into your head and really fits.  Other times, people have chosen names from favorite movie or story book or even cartoon  characters.  Here are the top 20.
Most popular female dog names:

1. Bella
  2. Daisy
  3. Lucy
  4. Molly
  5. Lola
  6. Sophie
  7. Sadie
  8. Chloe
  9. Coco
  10. Maggie

Most popular male dog names:

1. Max
  2. Buddy
  3. Charlie
  4. Rocky
  5. Cooper
  6. Bear
  7. Bentley
  8. Duke
  9. Jack
  10. Toby

What is your poodle or dog’s name?  Was it chosen for a specific person or character in mind or was it just a name you liked?  Let us know what you named your pets and if it was one of these top ten favorite poodle and dog names on the list.

Comments

1. Angela says:

Dotty
    Benson
    Cgarlie

2. Lucy says:

My red toy is named Ruby.

• admin says:

Ruby is a lovely name!! Have you put a photo of her on our Facebook page? Please do, if you haven’t already!
      We would love to see your Ruby. Thanks for the comment.

• Rosa says:

Yes, Ruby is a pretty name for a lil Poodle. My little girls name is Ginger. When she was a baby her hair was dark apricot, but as she has gotten older it lightened up. Now she is more like a champaign color and her long ears are almost white. In fact in her pictures, she looks white.

3. Sherry G says:

My miniature poodle Maddie came from a rescue group at 4 and a half months of age. When she came into rescue her name was Bella, but the rescue group already had a Bella in their listings so they renamed her Maddie.

• admin says:

That happens, since so many times people like a certain name and it’s already taken by another in a shelter. I like Maddie! My sister in law had a female dog named Madison and Maddie was her nickname. Thanks for the comments!

4. grace billings says:

I have a 2 year old chocolate standard poodle named Rosie. We have two cats (10 years old when we got her), named Roxie and Riley. My husband said let’s give her another “R” name, so I came up with Rosie.

5. Trina Rector says:

I have a black tiny toy. Her name is Estee. It means “little pretty”. We have a pug named Bijoux which means ” lots of jewels”…

• admin says:

Thanks, Esteemom! Those are very cool names! I named one of my cats Minha, which means All Mine in Portuguese. I love the name Estee and Bijoux is a great name too! Thanks for sharing!

6. Arnold says:
  7. anna says:

my mini’s name is wally. he was discovered by my kids one day tied to our back fence/wall. someone had abanded him there for us to find. that is why we named him wally. when we were thinking of a name, we definetly felt he was a ‘w’ name, and wally just seemed to fit,… our other dog, shih tzu is named charlie. i picked him up from a nearby town , charleton and i called him charlie just to call him something because my kids were visiting with their father at the time (charlie was a suer surprise for them) and when the kids came home the next day (i was at work) they found hiim iin the house. they called me right up and asked if they could name him charlie after a movie dog they liked without even knowing that i was calling him that when i pickd him up the day before (their visit with their day was an overnight) so we know that name was pure fate…..

8. "J" (Best friend to Little Pooch) says:

My baby girl is called “Little Pooch”, I believe there was a famous circus dog named “Poochie”

9. natalie says:

My boys names are Josef and Trevor

10. Carol says:

My standard poodle is named Harriet. She and her brother were rescues who were named Ozzie and Harriet by their foster mother. I liked the name and kept it, and it does seem to suit her.

11. Barbara says:

Hi, We have to standards Gracie (Our Amazing Gracie) age two and our 5 year old rescue Maddie (she came with this name and we liked it).

12. Dee Mastropavlos says:

My chocolate toy’s name is Ollie, after Olivier Martinez ( I think that’s the correct spelling)

13. Martha says:

My sweet black miniature’s name is Cota. Named for Ed Cota, a basketball player for UNC Tarheels in the 90′s.

14. Mindy says:

Dusty because he looks like a dust mop.

• admin says:

I love it!!!! Lucy looks like a little Mop when her hair is a little frizzy. We brush her just about every night. It’s funny….I named my cat Frosty because he looks like white frosting on a cake!
      Thanks for your comments!!

15. Robin AKA GoatMom says:

Our first poodle, a mini, rescue, around 6 years old joined us 2 years ago. Named Jimmy, we renamed Jimbo. Like chips you can’t stop at one! Soon a new older boy will join us from the same rescue, his name is Buster.

16. Maisy says:

My first poodle was a minature apricot boy who we called Reggie, and my second was a black toy called Anakin by his breeder as his official name was Pecante The Dark Lord. I think they were Star Wars fans :o )

On the lookout for another gorgeous poodle, waiting for one to pick us :o )

17. Joey G. says:

My three miniature poodles are named Strudel (rhymes with poodle); Sheba (like the biblical Queen of Sheba, she’s black and beautiful; and Menschie (“mensch” is the Yiddish word for a good person who always does the right thing).